Friday, November 14, 2008

Corn Week

Corn Week was our most messy week BY FAR this year--and I've decided we do some of the funnest things during Corn Week.

I've also decided I need a full-time photographer/blogger to keep up. There's so many things I want to do during a preschool day...and sometimes I can't get photos of all our fun stuff. So you get to see the things I manage to shoot one-handed and sometimes covered in paint or mess.

We shucked Indian Corn (pics of the shucking at the bottom of this post) and then used the corn cobs to make prints. Here's Eastyn rolling a corn cob on his paper.
Keen takes a turn.

Brooke! Everyone took turns wearing a painting shirt...just in case anyone wondered if I had triplets coming to preschool. Triplets with a mother that dressed them all the same. Ack.

Rafe usually shies away from the messy projects. I didn't even have to ask him twice. He's really changing this year.

We talked about what things corn is used to make. We tasted chips, cereal, corn syrup, corn chowder, tortillas, and then...the experiment! We mixed cornstarch with water and played with it for a long time. Well, there's Rafe in the background...I have about 3 kiddos that don't like to get their hands messy. So SOME of us played in this cornstarch for a long time. The rest played with Legos and watched us from a safe distance.

Brooke pushing the drippy mess away from the edge.

Bailey and Keen dig in. The little stringy marks on the backs of their hands are from where I drizzled it over them and "glued" their hands to the table temporarily. Anyone know any permanent cornstarch methods?

Caiden loved how it dripped and scraped. He made holes and then watched it ooze and fill back in.
Sharing and drizzling.

We talked about popcorn and why and how it pops. Then we experimented. We used an air popper and watched the kernels spin. We felt the heat coming out of the top...and then the exploding started! It was a nearly-impossible thing to photograph. Bummer!

Karsyn...don't get too close!

Chasing the exploding kernels.

Hmmm, I just noticed that Noah only has one shoe on. I wonder why...


This was our corn table where we scooped, measured, and played with corn! We pulled all the kernels off Indian Corn--that was satisfying and colorful!
Morgan's "Cheese!" face.

Eastyn and Bailey shucking away.
Checking out the corn. During the week, the corn cobs were also used as a light saber, magic wand, sword, gun, and dagger. If you ever need to defend yourself and only a corn cob is handy, please consider Sixth Street Preschool for all your defensive needs.

It took MUCH reminding that the table was not strong enough for her to climb in...

Caiden loved finishing the cobs that other kids gave up on. He was my speed-shucker.

Rafe didn't think he could do it and was impressed with himself when it actually worked.

No comments: